Turn your love of cinema, television, online content and cinematography into a career and learn to bring stories to life.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Bring stories to life as a Murdoch Screen Production student. In this course you’ll learn about scriptwriting, producing, directing, cinematography, production design, digital video editing, sound recording and sound design.
Gain hands-on experience from international award winning experienced film-makers, and use a wide range of professional production equipment and industry standard facilities. These include digital editing suites, 4K industry cameras, a broadcast quality TV studio, and a state-of-the-art sound stage.
Learn all the roles involved in creating screen productions of many kinds including drama, documentary, factual production, and/or experimental pieces.
8 reasons to study Screen Production at Murdoch
- Work with real organisations on real projects, and complete internships through our work integrated learning program.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH and work on real projects with real companies.
- Make use of our state of the art facilities including video editing suites, 4K cinema cameras, a broadcast quality TV studio, and a sound stage.
- Work with international award winning filmmakers. Our teaching team includes Damian Fasolo, Dr Glen Stasiuk and Dr John McMullan, multi-award winning filmmakers, with more than 20 years’ combined experience in screen production. They have produced music videos, TV commercials, documentaries, docu-drama, web-series, green-screen productions, TV shows, live event productions and had their work featured in international film festivals around the globe, and earned themselves numerous industry awards and accolades.
- Build a portfolio of creative works throughout your degree, which you can use to showcase your creative potential to future employers and production houses.
- At Murdoch, you’ll develop an entrepreneurial attitude, client consultation skills, critical thinking and the ability to adapt - so you can action your ideas.
- Showcase your creative work through local, national or even global competitions and film festivals. Our students have had their writing published and won film awards that have landed them jobs with global film and music producers.
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- directing and producing
- writing for the screen
- practical film skills
- consulting and freelancing
- factual and documentary production.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Graphic Design
- Theatre and Drama
- English and Creative Writing
- Communication + Creative Media.
Your future career
When you graduate, you’ll be well suited to careers in a range of industries and fields such as media production, film and TV, online and subscriptions, festival and media events, screen writing and development and post-production houses.
Careers could include:
- Director, Producer or Editor
- Production Designer or Manager
- Screen Writer
- Post Production/Visual Effects Artist
- Television and Online Producer
- Sound Designer and Editor.
Murdoch University is a member of the Australian Screen Production Education and Research Association.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.