How do we harness renewable and sustainable energy sources to help power the world? In this course, you’ll learn to design renewable energy systems to help create a more sustainable energy future for our planet.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 4 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Since the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, there has been a rapid increase in renewable energy projects worldwide, including a renewables boom in Australia. In this degree, you’ll look at different renewable energy systems and apply your thinking to help address global energy challenges.
You’ll learn how to design, analyse, plan, commission and test a wide range of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaic, wind, hydro, biomass and solar thermal.
A final honours year is embedded in this degree, meaning you’ll be able to apply everything you learn in your first three years of study.
If you’re unable to gain entry into this course, you can apply for the Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology and transfer across to this engineering major at the end of your first year of study.
8 reasons to study Renewable Energy Engineering
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Engineering*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Overall Experience in Engineering*.
- Become eligible for Clean Energy Council provisional accreditation for the design of grid connect photovoltaic and stand-alone power systems.
- Make use of our $10.1 million Bayer Pilot Plant – a real world engineering plant with a dedicated control room, the only one of its kind in WA.
- Gain 480 hours of real work experience as part of your degree.
- Travel overseas to create positive change through our Engineers Without Borders program.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program and Murdoch First Scholarship.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn:
- energy supply and management
- applied photovoltaics
- wind and hydro power systems
- solar thermal and biomass engineering
- renewable energy systems engineering.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Renewable Energy Engineering will give the skills in high demand for a range of careers in small and large-scale power generation and distribution, commercial and industrial sectors, energy management consulting, mining and resource planning.
Careers could include:
- Renewable Energy Engineer
- Renewable Energy Systems Designer
- Power Systems Engineer
- Renewable Resource Analyst
- Energy Efficiency Consultant.
Recommended double majors
- Electrical Power Engineering
- Industrial Computer Systems Engineering
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering.
Our Engineering degrees are accredited by Engineers Australia. As a graduate, you can become a graduate member of Engineers Australia. You could become a Full Chartered Professional Engineer after a further three-to-five years of engineering work experience.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
All students will undertake at least 500 hours of approved work experience, plus complete a report outlining the experience gained, in order to complete the requirements of the degree. This work experience must be in a suitable engineering-related area and be approved by the Engineering Academic Chair.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.