A degree in primary teaching can take you anywhere. Our teaching program gives you opportunities to engage with your own love of learning in a range of settings, in Australia or around the world.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 4 years full-time or part-time equivalent; mid-year commencement may result in a longer duration due to unit availability
Do you remember your favourite teacher from primary school? Perhaps it was someone you learned a lot from, they taught you new ways of thinking or inspired you in some way. You could be that special teacher for future generations.
Get the qualification you need to teach students from Years 1 to 6 as you study areas of the primary curriculum including English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education and the Arts. You will also study effective learning, teaching and assessment practices.
To expand your career opportunities, you can choose to specialise in Mathematics and Numeracy Education, English and Literacy Education, Inclusive Education for work in special education schools and centres, and Indonesian or Japanese teaching in primary schools.
5 reasons to study Primary Teaching
- Join the only teaching program in WA where you can apply for a two-week school placement in China with your flights, visas and accommodation paid for by the government.
- Enjoy practical placements which could include metropolitan, rural, remote, international, hard-to-staff, multicultural, hospital, private and state school environments. We offer a variety of internships across WA, including some 12-month placements.
- Before you start your first prac, you’ll get a sense of your interactive skills using our SimLabTM technology. SimLabTM is a world class and innovative virtual classroom technology, which allows you to interact with student-avatars operated by a trained actor behind the scenes. In the second, third fourth years of your degree, you will use SimLabTM again to practice further ‘pretend’ interactions with a range of students and parents.
- Be mentored by our team of experienced teaching professionals to become a confident, creative and flexible teacher who is ready for the challenges and excitement of classroom life.
- Graduate with an online portfolio which you can use to showcase your experience and skills to future employers.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- Living and learning with technology
- Language for learning and teaching
- Creating and managing effective learning environments
- Children, families and communities
- Inclusive education
Your future career
Our course will give you the qualification you need to teach children from Year 1 to Year 6 in primary schools, with the opportunity to specialise in Maths and Numeracy Education, English and Literacy Education, Inclusive Education or Teaching Indonesian or Japanese.
Our Primary Teaching qualification is recognised by the Teacher Registration Board and all schooling systems in Western Australia.
For more details about this course, please download our information pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- School of Education
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Prior to placement in any school for Professional Experience, it is mandatory that pre-service teachers complete or obtain several forms and clearances. Information and forms regarding these mandatory requirements can be accessed via the Professional Experience website. Completion and submission of these mandatory requirements is essential before placements can be arranged. A maximum of 25% of total Professional Experience days in the course may be taken overseas. Please note the following requirements for Teacher Registration in Australia: Students admitted to Initial Teacher Education programs on the basis of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment, or an equivalent English language proficiency assessment, must have attained an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 7.5 (with no score below 7 in any of the four skills areas, and a score of no less than 8 in speaking and listening), either on entry to or on graduation from the program.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.