Develop your skills as a creative image creator with this course, which blends theoretical and practical photography and digital imaging skills.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Photographers create the images that define our world and record our time. Our Photography course blends theoretical and practical skills in photography and digital imaging, so you learn to create powerful and effective images for a range of audiences and genres.
In this course, you’ll learn from industry professionals, developing a thorough understanding of critical photographic design and theory and the changing nature of the creative industries.
You will develop your practical photography skills with hands-on experience working on a wide range of photographic graphic design projects, and build the contemporary network and marketing skills necessary to succeed as a creative producer.
You will also build career skills, such as working to a creative brief, developing a professional approach to client liaison and managing projects.
7 reasons to study Photography
- Work with real organisations on real projects, and complete internships through our Work Integrated Learning program.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH and work on real projects with real companies.
- Be taught by industry professionals in photography with many years of experience to pass onto you.
- Build a portfolio of creative works throughout your degree, which you can use to showcase your creative potential to future employers.
- At Murdoch, you’ll develop an entrepreneurial attitude, client consultation skills, critical thinking and the ability to adapt - so you can action your ideas.
- Showcase your creative work through local, national or even global competitions putting you in front of industry eyes and allowing you to make connections with potential future employers.
- Study two majors in three years and graduate with two specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- Photographic technique
- Digital imaging and design
- Studio and lighting
- Visual literacy
- Documentary photography
Your future career
When you graduate, you’ll be well suited to careers in a range of industries and fields such as fashion, publications, advertising, professional photographic agencies, corporations, art, journalism, government and more.
Careers could include:
- Photo Journalist
- Content Producer
- Professional Photographer
- Freelance Image Producer
- Professional Artist
Recommended double majors
Recommended combined degrees
Upon entering the industry you can apply to join various industry associations such as Australian Accredited Professional Photographers (AAPP), CAMS Photographer Accreditation Program or the Australian Photographers Association (APA).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
- School of Arts
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
There are compulsory on-campus components in this major.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.