New technologies are constantly changing the way we live and work. As organizations embrace these technologies, they require people with advanced digital skills to effectively manage and build networks to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
With the rapid growth of the Internet and the services it provides, there is an ever-growing need for networking specialists with security skills. This course has been designed in consultation with industry experts, so you’ll develop in-depth knowledge and a range of practical skills required to design, implement, manage and keep secure computer networks.
You’ll gain a solid foundation of the theoretical and practical aspects of different dimensions of network security, such as systems analysis and design, network design and implementation, voice technology and wireless and interactive networks. This is in addition to project management, research, oral and written communication skills, ensuring you’re ready to enter the job market.
In the final year of your degree, you’ll take part in a professional practice project unit. This will include working in a team with other students and consulting with real clients to recommend, develop and implement new technologies to solve business problems.
9 reasons to study Internetworking and Network Security
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Skills Development in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch has a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for Learner Engagement in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Take on real-world clients with project based units.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program.
- Choose between seven specifically designed IT majors that you can combine into double majors to broaden your skills and career opportunities.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn
- systems analysis, design and development
- server environments and architectures
- systems analysis and design
- wireless and interactive networks
- network security.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Internetworking and Network Security, you’ll possess the skills required for a range of professional IT roles aimed at securing our digital future.
Careers could include:
- Network Administrator
- Network Engineer
- Security Specialist
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Engineer.
Recommended double majors
- Business Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Games Software Design and Production
- Games Technology
- Mobile and Web Application Development.
This course is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society (ACS). You can also use this course towards achieving Cisco Certifications, which are internationally recognised.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus (some units external)
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Internet access is required for all students.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.