Develop advanced skills in contemporary Indonesian language, and gain a greater understanding of the political, environmental, and social issues affecting Indonesia and the Asia region.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Indonesia is our nearest Asian neighbour and on track to become the world’s 10th biggest economy by the end of this decade.
In this course, you’ll develop advanced skills in contemporary Indonesian language, and gain a greater understanding of the political, environmental, and social issues affecting Indonesia and the Asia region.
When you graduate, you’ll find your Indonesian language skills are in high demand in a range of areas, particularly roles involving foreign affairs, security, defence, media, international development and education. You could also become accredited as an interpreter and translator through separate application and testing by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
If you have completed ATAR Indonesian, you would be eligible for our fast-track course, where you can enter directly into upper-level Indonesian language units.
6 reasons to study Indonesian
- Murdoch is ranked in the top 10 universities in Australia for languages*.
*Source: Times Higher Education Rankings by Subject 2018, 201-250 category
- Murdoch has received a five-star rating for median graduate starting salaries in the field of languages*.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide 2018
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
- Students will have the opportunity to study in Indonesia through the national Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS).
- Students can benefit from our strong links with the Asia region through our Asia Research Centre, an international leader in the study of East and Southeast Asia.
- Students will create an e-portfolio of their work to showcase to employers when they graduate.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- Indonesian language: speaking, listening, writing, and reading
- Indonesian customs and culture
- media, culture and politics in Indonesia
- Asian studies
- advanced research in the arts.
Your future career
With a degree in Indonesian, you could pursue a range of opportunities in fields such as teaching, diplomacy, international law and journalism.
Careers could include:
- Ambassador or Diplomat
- Policy Advisor
- Travel Specialist
Recommended double majors
- Community Development
- Global Politics and Policy
- International Aid and Development
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism Studies
- Tourism and Events.
Recommended combined degrees
You can apply for professional accreditation as an interpreter and translator through testing by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
The course is open to beginners as well as those with language competency based on previous study. Students with language competency will be granted exemption (preclusion) from lower level language units and will be placed at the level of study appropriate to their level of competence. Such students would be required to incorporate in-country study or substitute approved units in lieu of precluded language units to satisfy the 24-point major requirement.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.