Learn how to create visual content to communicate messages and kick-start your career in graphic design.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Graphic design is everywhere, from your favourite apps to your favourite breakfast cereal. In this course, you’ll learn design strategy and practical skills for a range of print and digital media contexts, to help you build a career you love in this dynamic and rapidly changing global industry.
This course has a large focus on industry. You’ll learn to master industry-specific software, critical design thinking, visual problem solving and authentic production techniques through a range of industry projects. You’ll work on real client projects to build a portfolio of digital, print and communication designs, which you can use to show your work to your future employers.
You will also build career skills, such as working to a creative brief, developing a professional approach to client liaison and managing graphic design projects.
10 reasons to study Graphic Design at Murdoch
- Work with real organisations on real projects, and complete internships through our work integrated learning program. Some of our students have worked on Media on Mars and the graphics for Parklife festival.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH and work on real projects with real companies such as Water Corp, BMX Sports WA and the Cockburn Cougars.
- Be taught by industry professionals in graphic design, including art directors from leading Perth companies. Some of our academics have completed work for Bear Grylls and Heston Blumenthal.
- Build a portfolio of creative works throughout your degree, which you can use to showcase your creative potential to future employers. This will include work from real clients work across print, digital and communication design.
- At Murdoch, you’ll develop an entrepreneurial attitude, client consultation skills, critical thinking and the ability to adapt - so you can action your ideas.
- Travel abroad to take part in special programs that allows you to take on internships in the media or creative industry. Some of our students have interned with global companies Nike and Red Bull. You could travel and study in Singapore where you will create branding solutions for The Salvation Army Singapore; or travel to Germany and study at the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences, one of the best design schools in the country.
- Study two majors in 3 years and graduate with 2 specialisations, further enhancing your career prospects.
- Have the option to continue onto a fourth year in the Graduate Diploma in Design Thinking and Service Innovation – a new and high demand skill set for the graphic design industry.
- Strong future growth is expected for graphic and web designers and illustrators*.
Source: Australian Government Job Outlook 2020
- Study and have access to our facilities which include computer labs and studio spaces decked out with all the latest design software and hardware like 3D printers to help you bring your print and digital designs to life.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- publication design
- identity and branding
- web and app design
- interaction design
- information and service design.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Screen Production
- Games Art and Design
- Strategic Communication
- Bachelor of Communication.
Your future career
When you graduate, you’ll have the skills and knowledge suitable for a career in graphic design, including: publication and prepress design, branding and identity design, information design, signage design, digital design, service design, web design and/or development, mobile app design, interaction design, interface design and digital content development.
Careers could include:
- Graphic Designer
- Service Designer
- Digital/Web Designer
- Interaction Designer
- Publication and Prepress Designer.
You could work in various local and international advertising agencies, as an in-house graphic designer, a freelancer and more.
As a graduate, you will be eligible to apply for Associate Status with the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) and the Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.