Gain a theological grounding in the history, beliefs, texts and practices of the Christian tradition. This course is suitable for those seeking a foundation in the various branches of theological study, as well as a gateway to further study.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 1 year full-time or part-time equivalent
Explore one of the world’s oldest disciplines by immersing yourself in the history, beliefs, texts, and practices of the Christian tradition. Gain a solid theological grounding of the main branches of theological study through learning about biblical studies, church history, systematic theology and practical theology. Challenge your intellectual independence through working on projects with your peers. You’ll be encouraged to ask questions, think critically, reflect deeply and act ethically in your engagement with both theology and your wider environment.
Not all students who study theology are religious themselves; all you need is an inquiring mind and passion to learn more about the significance and impact of religion in the world around us.
6 reasons to study a Graduate Diploma of Theology at Murdoch
- Investigate the depths of faith and the fascinating impact of Christianity on wider society.
- Learn about the social, political and cultural trends have shaped Christianity through its long and complicated history.
- Gain insight into the world, people and cultures of the Bible by exploring its historical background.
- Classes are taught by internationally recognised experts and researchers in their respective fields.
- Flexible study options: Study full-time or part-time, in internal and external modes.
- Looking to continue on and complete a masters degree? We offer a 2 year Master of Theological Studies where you can use all the units completed in this course as credits.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- biblical studies
- church history
- systematic theology
- practical theology.
This course will enhance your knowledge and qualifications, resulting in greater job prospects for roles in religious schools and church agencies. It is suitable both for those preparing for work in Christian churches and agencies as well as those seeking a foundation in the fundamental aspects of theological study.
Murdoch graduates of Theology acquire investigative, interpretive and critical skills which are of interest to employers in many industries. Teachers in religious schools may be required to study some theology. Other employment prospects exist within charities and non‐governmental organisations and in education.
Careers could include:
- Youth Worker
- School Chaplain or Religious Education Teacher
- Officer for an NGO or charity
- Church Worker
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Not available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.