We live, work and learn in a globalised environment where international events influence Australian politics and policy and vice versa. In this course you’ll explore how to deal with complex problems in our diverse and interconnected world.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Organisations, businesses, and entire nations are run by a combination of systems, decisions and activities known as governance. In this course, you’ll examine political power, public policy, political institutions, ideas and processes, and their transformations at national and global levels. You’ll learn how organisations, including government bodies, can benefit from high-performing leaders and strong internal systems.
This is the only course of its kind in WA, exploring both political and economic forces to help you develop new ways of thinking about what shapes the world.
You can expand your career opportunities through a range of programs at our Sir Walter Murdoch School of Public Policy and International Affairs, or explore the social, political, historical, environmental and economic forces at play in Asia through our Asia Research Centre.
8 reasons to study Global Politics and Policy
- Murdoch is ranked in the top 10 universities in Australia for Politics and International Studies.
- Explore a unique combination of global politics and economics to build knowledge and skills which will be in demand from a range of employers.
- Travel to Indonesia for a semester as part of the Study Indonesia Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) program.
- Learn critical and creative thinking skills you can apply to any career.
- Work with international and local organisations on real projects as part of our work integrated learning program.
- Build your network of contacts through our industry connections and strong links with the Asian region through our Asia Research Centre.
- Learn from experts in their field who often pop up on the news and in media to give their expert opinion on current events.
- Have the opportunity to get work experience through working closely with politicians and senior administrators from the WA Public Sector and parliament. You’ll take on a project and work together on different issues. You’ll also get to spend time in and around the government offices giving you real exposure to the inner workings of government and the public sector.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- the international political economy
- terrorism and political violence in South Asia
- politics and security in South-East Asia: Terrorists, gangsters and the State
- public policy
- politics, power and policy.
When you graduate with a degree in Global Politics and Policy, you could pursue a wide range of career opportunities.
Careers could include:
- Foreign Correspondent or Journalist
- Political and Policy Advisor
- Security Analyst
You could work in analytical and decision-making positions in state and federal public service, international organisations, government and non-government agencies, journalism, media, public relations, education, welfare, health policy, business administration, corporate government relations, think tanks and research institutes.
Recommended double majors
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
There may be a reduction in choice of units if completing this course in the external mode.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.