Gaming is now a multi-billion dollar industry. If you’re interested in a degree that equips you with the skills you need to work in this global industry, this is the course for you.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Have you considered the possibility of taking your passion for gaming and turning it into a successful career? With increasing opportunities available, you’ll gain the skills needed to work in both the international games industry and the information technology industry.
In this degree, you’ll learn the practical software engineering and programming skills required to design and build games, simulation engines and interactive visualisation software applications. You’ll also explore 3D software design and programming, Artificial Intelligence (AI), game play and design, graphics programming, interactive virtual environments and multiuser games programming.
In the final year of your degree, you’ll take part in a professional practice project unit. This includes working in a team with other students and consulting with real clients to recommend, develop and implement new technologies to solve business problems.
9 reasons to study Games Technology
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Skills Development in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch has received a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for Learner Engagement in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Take on real-world clients with project based units.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program.
- Choose between seven specifically designed IT majors that you can combine into double majors to broaden your skills and career opportunities.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn
- computer graphics principles and programming
- games design and programming
- virtual environments for games and simulations
- game development
- artificial intelligence.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Games Technology, you’ll possess the skills required for a range of gaming careers in Australia and overseas.
Careers could include:
- Games Designer
- Games Programmer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst or Programmer
- Artificial Intelligence Programmer.
Recommended double majors
- Business Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Games Software Design and Production
- Internetworking and Network Security
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mobile and Web Application Development.
This course is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society (ACS).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.