Whether you want to inspire others through teaching, find different ways of working, or use applied research to explore what’s possible for future generations, you can turn your passion for teaching into a career with this advanced level degree.
- Part or full-time (Student visa holders must study full-time)
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
This is an intensive course of study, which will lead you to a professional doctorate degree in Education. You’ll undertake coursework and applied research, leading to a dissertation.
You’ll conduct applied research in an area of your choice, such as school leadership, teacher professional learning, student learning, Aboriginal education, curriculum design and leadership, early childhood education, tertiary and adult education and sociology, to name a few.
You’ll be assigned a supervisor who will help you to develop an approved plan of study to suit your area of specialisation. You will have the chance to meet with your supervisor on-campus, or work with them remotely.
7 reasons to study a Doctor of Education at Murdoch
- Study at the first university in Australia, and among only a few in the world, to offer the Tribes TLCTM Basic Course Certification as an accredited postgraduate unit.
- Be mentored by our experienced education professionals who are here to support you in becoming a confident, creative and flexible educator.
- Specialise your degree by choosing electives to develop knowledge and skills in a particular area.
- Choose full-time, part-time, on-campus or online options to help you fit study into your working life. If you’re an international student, you’ll need to study full-time to meet your visa requirements.
- Most of our classes take place after work hours during the week, starting after 4.30pm or on weekends.
- Become involved in free workshops and seminars to help you with writing, statistics and data analysis, ethics, how to run surveys and research as a postgraduate student.
- You’ll be taught by leading academics who have professional experience and internationally recognised research in education.
Develop your skills
Build essential skills and knowledge to meet your career or study goals. Topics you’ll cover include:
- introduction to research for educators
- mixed methods and quantitative research
- advanced qualitative approaches to research
- research in education
- a range of discipline specific electives.
You’ll graduate qualified for high-level professional roles in the education and community sector. Careers could include:
- Head of Department
- School Leader
- Program Leader or Designer
- Advisor to Government
- University Lecturer/Tutor
- Instructional Designer.
This qualification will provide evidence of professional learning for registration and re-registration as a teacher.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.