The global economy is increasingly dependent on a secure digital environment that protects its users. Are you interested in using your analytical, technical and creative problem solving skills to fight against cybercrime and help secure our digital age?
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Cybercrime has quickly risen to become a top-level national security priority across the globe. Increasing the security of data, as well as reducing the impact of a network or database security breach are the key challenges for IT security specialists.
In this degree, you’ll gain a solid foundation of the theoretical and practical aspects of different dimensions of cyber security, such as network security, software security, system security measures and models, information security, computer forensics, penetration testing and vulnerability assessment.
You’ll learn how to forensically examine digital evidence, identify and respond to threats and information security incidents, and develop the digital forensic and critical thinking skills to solve computer crime.
In the final year of your degree, you’ll take part in a professional practice project unit. This will include working in a team with other students and consulting with real clients to recommend, develop and implement new technologies to solve cyber security problems.
10 reasons to study Cyber Security and Forensics
- Study at the only university in WA ranked as world standard by the ERA* in the field of Networking and Mobile Technologies.
*Source: ERA 2018
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Skills Development in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch has received a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for Learner Engagement in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Take on real-world clients with project based units.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program.
- Choose between seven specifically designed IT majors that you can combine into double majors to broaden your skills and career opportunities.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn
- systems analysis, design and development
- server environments and architectures
- security architectures and systems administration
- information security policy and governance
- cyber forensics and information technology
- database management.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Cyber Security and Forensics will equip you with the skills you need for professional IT roles aimed at securing our digital future.
Career options include:
- Ethical Hacker
- Network and Security Specialist
- IT Security and Risk Analyst/Consultant
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Cyber Forensic Investigator.
Recommended double majors
This course is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society (ACS)
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.