Gain a regional, national and global perspective on how to address the problem of meeting the food production needs for the world’s ever-growing population.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
To meet the needs of the world’s growing population, it’s estimated that global food production will need to double by 2050 – and you can learn how science and technology are being used to supply increasing demand.
Find out how the latest research and industry practices are addressing increasing global concern around food security and how to feed a growing population.
With training from scientists, professionals and industry-leading farmers learn how science is applied to food production in cropping and pasture systems regionally, national and globally. You’ll gain extensive knowledge into the factors that affect the growth of plants used for food and forage production, and how plant growth can be manipulated through various interventions. Learn how the role of new technologies in improving the yield, profitability and sustainability of food production systems are driving growth in the agricultural industry.
In the process you’ll gain a comprehensive understanding about how agricultural businesses operate under the influence of government policies, markets and the value chain.
7 reasons to study Crop and Pasture Science at Murdoch
- Five-star rating for student-teacher ratio, overall experience, student support and teaching quality.*
*Source: Good Universities Guide 2020
- Study at Australia’s only campus-based farm to gain hands-on experience in soil science, crop science and pasture science.
- Get hands-on experience across a total of eight weeks of industry placements in farms and agriculture research programs across WA.
- Be taught by lecturers who are leading national and international research projects so you graduate with cutting edge subject knowledge.
- Have opportunities for direct interactions with growers and industry experts in Australia’s diverse farming industries.
- Get practical knowledge in applications of genomic and molecular technologies for improving food production.
- Further your career development through research linked to national and international research projects.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- agricultural science and food production
- crop protection and plant biosecurity
- agricultural markets, economics and policy
- crop and pasture science
- agricultural and environmental technologies.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
- Animal Science
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Conservation and Wildlife Biology
- Animal Health
Your future career
This major will make you an adaptable and innovative agricultural scientist ready for a variety of careers in the agricultural industries.
Careers could include:
- Agricultural Scientist
- Biosecurity and Quarantine Officer
- Farm Manager
- Research Scientist.
You could work in the private sector as a consultant for farming businesses or agricultural supply businesses, in government organisations, or in a research facility.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus (some units external)
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.