Computing is part of everything we do. Studying computer science will develop your critical thinking and problem solving skills, helping you to make a real difference to society.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Organisations in every industry rely on computers. As a computer scientist, it will be up to you to help develop effective solutions, positively benefiting the world around us.
In this degree, you’ll explore the theory, methods and systems used by the computing industry. By developing the skills and knowledge you need to design and develop revolutionary ideas, you’ll create concepts and technologies that can change the world.
Learning about algorithms, software design and implementation, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and computer systems and development will give you the unique ability to create and apply computer and software systems to solve real-world problems.
In the final year of your degree, you’ll take part in a professional practice project unit. This will include working in a team with other students and consulting with real clients in order to recommend, develop and implement new technologies to solve business problems.
10 reasons to study Computer Science
- Study at the only university in WA ranked as world standard by the ERA* in the field of Networking and Mobile Technologies.
*Source: ERA 2018
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Teaching Quality in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Australia for Skills Development in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch has received a 5-star rating for overall quality of educational experience in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for Learner Engagement in Computing and Information Systems*.
- Murdoch is ranked number 1 in Western Australia for graduate salary, learning resources, student support and full-time employment for engineering*.
- Make use of our brand new IT Innovation Hub, fitted out with the latest mixed and augmented reality equipment, operational data centre and high performance computing capabilities.
- Take on real-world clients with project based units.
- Access great scholarships like the Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship Program.
- Choose between seven specifically designed IT majors that you can combine into double majors to broaden your skills and career opportunities.
*Source: The Good Universities Guide, 2019
Some of the things you’ll learn
- systems analysis, design and development
- data structures and abstractions
- software architectures
- intelligent systems and artificial intelligence.
Your future career
Graduating with a major in Computer Science, you’ll possess the required skills for a diverse range of career opportunities across technology and business sectors.
Careers could include:
- Programmer/Software Developer
- Systems Analyst
- Software Architect
- Computer Systems and Network Manager
- Data Scientist.
Recommended double majors
- Business Information Systems
- Cyber Security and Forensics
- Games Software Design and Production
- Games Technology
- Internetworking and Network Security
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mobile and Web Application Development.
This course is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society (ACS).
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus or external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
There may be a reduction in choice of units if completing this course in the external mode. Individual units may require access to specific nominated software.
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.