Choose a creative field and couple it with an area of communication to graduate with double the amount of career opportunities.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 4 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Combine a Bachelor of Creative Media with a Bachelor of Communication to get the skills and ways of thinking to give you a competitive edge in your career.
You can customise your degree to suit what you’re interested in – and your career aspirations. With your Bachelor of Creative Media you can choose to major in Sound, Photography, Graphic Design, Games Art & Design or Screen Production. Your Bachelor of Communication allows you to major in Journalism, Strategic Communication or Global Media and Communication.
Regardless of your chosen areas of study, this combined course will help to transition you from being an independent and innovative creative arts and communications student into a well-rounded professional with a strong understanding of industry. Be mentored by highly experienced creative media and communication academics who will share their industry skills and knowledge with you.
You’ll work with real clients on real campaigns as you build a wide range of skills for professional communication in the digital age, including creating and producing content, managing social media and developing public relations and communications strategies. You’ll be able to mix skills these skills with your chosen creative field and become a double threat in the job market with the ability to communicate effectively, but also produce content (whether that be audio, film, graphic design, games art or photography).
7 reasons to study a combined degree in Creative Media + Communication at Murdoch
- Learn from industry professionals with vast experience and connections in their respective fields. Some of our experts have managed their own major social media and PR agencies overseas and worked with major overseas health companies, Heineken and Invisalign, while others have produced multi-award-winning films and been a part of Oscar winning sound production teams.
- Work with real organisations on real projects as part of our Work Integrated Learning program. Some of our students have interned with Lifeline, RAC Arena and The Salvation Army.
- Get more real-world experience in our on-campus student creative consultancy MESH where you'll complete work for organisations like Royal Lifesaving WA and the WA Division of the United Nations.
- Customise your course with a wide range of majors to choose from to create your perfect degree and career.
- Graduate with two qualifications across two industries, giving your more career opportunities.
- At Murdoch, you’ll develop an entrepreneurial attitude, client consultation skills, critical thinking and the ability to adapt – so you can action your ideas.
- We consulted with our academics, industry contacts and students in designing this course – so your skills and knowledge will be relevant when you begin your career.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- VR platforms and publishing
- mobile app and interaction design
- communication strategy and planning
- broadcasting and digital newsgathering
- web design
- directing and producing.
Customise your course
A combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some other combined degrees you might enjoy:
Your future career
Depending on your chosen areas within communication and creative media this course could lead to many different job opportunities in different industries. With your combination of technical skills and specialised communication knowledge you’ll expand your career options and become a double threat within the job market.
Careers could include:
- Public Relations Officer
- Graphic Designer
- Television and Online Producer.
More and more the job market and industry is demanding well-rounded graduates that have skills in both creative and communication fields. You could work in just about any industry as there is a need for good communicators and creativity across all sectors. Some examples include working in business or in roles with local, state and federal government or non-governmental organisations (known as NGOs). You could also use your skills to freelance and work for yourself.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth campus and some units external
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.