The first step in treating disease is correct medical diagnosis. Be at the front line of health, using technology to analyse and diagnose health issues and lead medical research.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
If you’re fascinated by disease processes and diagnosis, this course will give you the experience and analytical skills you need to succeed in medical diagnosis, medical research and other health-related fields.
Explore medical technology and work in practical laboratories on campus to gain laboratory skills used to analyse, diagnose and research human diseases. You’ll examine disease processes and learn the technical skills you need to handle patient material collected in hospitals, doctor’s surgeries and even forensic investigations.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to perform clinical testing and analyse and report results. Covering human biology, cell and molecular biology, molecular genetics, and a range of clinical laboratory disciplines including microbiology, immunology, biochemistry and haematology, this major (along with completion of other appropriate clinical units in second and third year) will potentially help prepare you for a fourth year of study and a professional qualification in Laboratory Medicine.
6 reasons to study Clinical Laboratory Science at Murdoch
- Studying at Murdoch University will put you at the centre of the vibrant health and research precinct, which includes Fiona Stanley and St John of God Hospitals, along with many other health facilities such as the Institute for Immunology and Infectious Diseases.
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn from outstanding researchers in the field, with high quality teaching so you get the latest knowledge.
- Learn by doing, with laboratory content throughout the course to ensure you acquire practical skills and reinforce theoretical principles.
- Prepare for the workforce or further study with the inclusion of cutting-edge advances in modern diagnostic science.
- You’ll be taught by academics with an open door policy so that you can get the help and advice you need in order to succeed.
- If you are planning on applying to study postgraduate medicine (or other medically-related courses) the content in this major will prepare you well, while providing other career options as well.
What you’ll learn
Build the knowledge and skills you need to meet your career or study goals. Here are some of the things you’ll learn:
- clinical microbiology
- diagnostic genomics
- clinical immunology.
Customise your course
Customise your course with a second major or combined degree. Adding a second major or combined degree enhances your career prospects and allows you to specialise in two areas of study. Here are some combinations we recommend:
Your future career
A major in Clinical Laboratory Science will give you opportunities to pursue a career health-related fields.
Careers could include:
- Laboratory Technician
- Technical Officer
- Medical Researcher
- Laboratory Assistant
- Research Scientist.
You could work in medical research institutes, diagnostic pathology laboratories, biotechnology, the pharmaceutical industry, secondary or higher (university) education, medical scientific supply, or hospitals.
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- Mid-year start available (International students)
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.