In a world with a growing population, how to meet the ever-increasing demand for wholesome and safe food production is a global issue. Learn how technology and new practices are being used to ensure humane and sustainable production as industries expand.
- Part or full-time
(Student visa holders must study full-time)
- Part or full-time
- 3 years full-time or part-time equivalent
The need to feed a growing Australian and global population means food production systems must become more efficient to meet demand.
Learn how technology and sustainable practices are being used to meet this increasing demand, while still ensuring the production of wholesome and safe food products. With an in-depth focus on developments in animal management, disease control, improved welfare and new molecular technologies, you’ll get a comprehensive understanding of animal production systems in a range of industries.
You’ll also explore how new DNA technologies are transforming our traditional food and fibre production systems, and the ways that these advances are moving from research to industry practice.
You can combine this course with other majors to expand your career prospects even further. Adding a Crop and Pasture Science major will expand your knowledge in the fields of animal production and crops and pastures, creating a well-rounded agriculture degree.
If you’d like to study Animal Science as a pathway to apply to study Veterinary Science, we recommend studying a double major which combines this course with Animal Health.
9 reasons to study Animal Science
- Learn on the only city-based university farm in Australia. Murdoch’s on-campus farm is an animal production property, meaning practical classes are held on campus.
- You’ll get hands on experience in your first year of study with sheep, cattle, pigs and horses.
- Complete a total of seven weeks industry experience throughout the course across three or more industries, so you’ll graduate confidence for the work place.
- Have the opportunity to travel to the eastern states of Australia to compete at the Intercollegiate Meat Judging program, and the National Merino Challenge.
- Learn in Murdoch’s hands-on sheep feedlot.
- Tour WA’s South Western Region for a week during your third year, learning about WA’s agricultural industry.
- Join one of our student interest groups on sheep, cattle, pigs, cats or dogs.
- You’ll learn from lecturers who are leading national research projects with up to date information so you graduate with the latest knowledge in animal.
- Gain industry experience with face-to-face interaction with farmers, consultants and experts in Australia’s livestock industries.
Some of the things you’ll learn
- livestock science and genetics
- veterinary nutrition and animal toxicology
- comparative mammalian biochemistry
- animal structure and function
- animal production systems.
Your future career
A major in Animal Science will give you opportunities to pursue a career in a wide range of fields, including agriculture, food production industries and research.
Careers could include:
- Farm Business Manager
- Research Advisor/Extension
- Research Scientist
- Technical Advisor
- Agribusiness Consultant.
You could work in the private sector in agricultural consultancy, in government agencies, non-government organisations, or research and development institutions to help create safe and efficient animal production systems across the globe.
Recommended double majors
For further admission information about this course, please download our Information Pack.
- Perth Campus
- Mid-year start available (Domestic students)
- School of Veterinary and Life Sciences
Each course has a number of credit points that must be completed for you to graduate. Find out what’s required to meet the credit points for this course.
Entry requirements for
Fees & Scholarships for Domestic StudentsInternational Students
At Murdoch, you pay for the individual units you enrol in, not an overall course fee. The total cost of your course will therefore vary depending on what units you choose. Use our online Course Fee Calculator to estimate the amount you will need to pay.
We understand you may need help financially whilst studying for your qualification. We therefore offer eligible students a wide range of scholarships, prizes and awards across a variety of categories. Find out what scholarships Murdoch has on offer, and whether you’re eligible to apply.
How to apply as a Domestic StudentInternational Student
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 1, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Apply now to be eligible for a place at Murdoch University. To start studying in Semester 2, you can apply directly to Murdoch using our easy-to-use online application system.
Your Application Checklist
Your Document Checklist
Ready to apply? Before you start, make sure you have some or all of the following documentation ready for a quick application.