Our support for you during COVID-19
At Murdoch University, we know that many of you are experiencing difficulty due to COVID-19.
Working with the Murdoch Student Guild, we have developed a comprehensive Student Support Package to help those of you who have been financially impacted by this unprecedented situation.
Please double check that your personal profile and contact details are up to date in MyInfo before applying for support.
Student Assistance Fund – Extraordinary Support
Available to eligible onshore domestic and international students, this support package aims to safeguard your physical and mental health and wellbeing, while maintaining your access to learning and teaching.
To be eligible for support from the Student Assistance Fund, you must:
- be able to evidence that you are experiencing financial hardship as a direct result of COVID-19
- be a domestic or international student physically located in Australia and studying towards a Murdoch coursework or research degree, or studying in the OnTrack or K-Track course, who has had your Semester 2 attendance impacted by COVID-19
- not be eligible for Centrelink assistance
- not have received funds from scholarships that cover ongoing living expenses (other than the International Welcome Scholarship) or sponsorships from Australian and overseas governments.
How to apply
If you believe your circumstances need financial support you will need to submit at least 6 weeks of recent statements from all bank accounts along with a personal statement. You must answer the following three questions:
- Why do you need financial support? You must be specific, and provide supporting evidence. Some examples of appropriate reasons are:
- ongoing expenses due to medical conditions
- supporting multiple dependants
- your family sponsor is unable to contribute due to COVID-19 impacts.
- How much funding do you need?
- How and when will the extra funding be spent?
You can only upload 3 files. Multiple page documents should be combined and uploaded as one complete file.
To apply, please email us your statement and supporting documentation and in the title of the email provide your name and student number.
What happens next?
We'll contact you shortly after you've applied to provide an update on your application.
The criteria for the Student Assistance Fund has been established to ensure financial support is provided to our students most in need. The Student Support Package has been designed to assist the greatest number of students possible, whilst balancing the need to provide meaningful financial support at this time.
If your application is not successful, please consider that the funding has instead been allocated to one of your classmates who is also in need at this difficult time.
The Essentials Bursary is a $50 fortnightly Coles voucher that can help pay for groceries and other essential items. It is available to international students studying towards a Murdoch coursework or research degree and currently physically located in Australia.
You only need to apply once. Applications received by 5pm Monday each fortnight from 20 April, 2020 will be processed and issued within that fortnight.
If your application is approved, you will receive a voucher via email each fortnight for the duration of the program, including over the semester break. To receive vouchers you must be enrolled in Semester 2 units. A change in your circumstances could mean you’re no longer eligible.
The voucher is sent by email so you must ensure your details are correct in MyInfo before applying for support.
Online support services
We may all be physically distancing but there's no need to feel isolated. We encourage you to access the wide range of help and support available to you: