Overseas Student Health Cover

In order to obtain a student visa to study in Australia, students must show the Department of Immigration & Border Protection (DIBP) proof of health insurance for the intended study period.

Most students satisfy this requirement by purchasing Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance to international students.

OSHC can be purchased through Murdoch University when the student is ready to accept their offer of a place at Murdoch.

Helping you select the right provider

All international students must purchase OSHC for their entire study period in Australia – this is known as Visa Length Cover.

Our preferred OSHC provider is Worldcare. To obtain OSHC from Worldcare students need to pay Murdoch the nominated fee indicated on their Offer Letter from Murdoch.

Murdoch will then forward the OSHC payment to Worldcare. OSHC cover commences as soon as the student arrives in Australia.

Once OSHC and the relevant tuition fee have been paid, Murdoch will issue the student with a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) letter which shows that OSHC and tuition have been paid according to DIBP requirements.

Using the COE letter the student can then apply for their student visa according to DIBP requirements. Further information on visa types, assessment levels, and visa requirements is available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Students will receive information during the Murdoch Orientation Program about how to register with OSHC Worldcare to obtain their OSHC Worldcare card. This card will be requested by Health Service Providers every time the student seeks medical treatment in Australia.

Students should be aware that OSHC generally does not cover pre-existing conditions in the first year of cover and does not apply to extras such as physiotherapy, dental, optical or chiropractic cover.

The only students who are not required to purchase OSHC by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) are Norwegian students covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme or Swedish students covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet. These students can however purchase OSHC if they wish.